Top 5 FAQ’s Re: Magnets
1) Does my child have to test gifted to get into a magnet school? Unless it’s a gifted magnet school (which the majority of LAUSD magnets schools are NOT), no.
2) I heard magnet school admittance is based on points–how do you get points?
- 4 points if your home LAUSD school is PHBAO (Predominantly Hispanic, Black, Asian or Other)
- 4 points if your home LAUSD school is overcrowded (aka: Three-Track, getting more and more rare)
- 4 points for each year on the waiting list (aka: you apply to a magnet school and are denied, for up to three years, 12 possible)
- 3 points if a sibling is already attending the magnet school applied for
3) How and where do we apply? Is it complicated? Typically, the CHOICES brochure (which contains both the catalogue of LAUSD magnet schools and the one-page magnet application) becomes available the first week of December at the LAUSD central offices downtown (333 S. Beaudry), local LAUSD schools and LA County public libraries. Applications must be postmarked by the January 2009 deadline (usually around Jan. 20).
Office of Student Integrated Services (Magnet Schools): (213) 241 4177. LAUSD website is lausd.net. Useful keywords for unearthing magnet school information are going to be OFFICES, STUDENT INTEGRATION SERVICES, PARENTS AND GUARDIANS.
4) What’s the difference between magnet and charter schools? For your intents and purposes, the simple answer is that LAUSD magnet schools have that firm December-January application window and the points are calculated by computer downtown. Charter school application processes vary from school to school, and are somewhat more fluid. For more charter school information, visit myschool.org (formerly charterassociation.org)
5) Is it true that my child has to get into a magnet or charter school in order to have any art whatsoever? No. Many LAUSD schools also have SAS (Schools for Advanced Studies) programs. Even regular neighborhood LAUSD schools have arts and enrichment programs–we recommend you begin your school search with an in-person visit. To find your home LAUSD school, go to lausd.net, FAMILIES button (bottom), SCHOOL FINDER
6) What’s the LAUSD website for magnet info? http://echoices.lausd.net/